Sunday, October 3, 2010

Baked Alaska!

I didn't realize I haven't posted anything July ... SORRY! I have been cooking (and eating and drinking) all summer ... trying new things like Baked Alaska which we did for our 60's Dinner Party (individual servings) and for a birthday party last night (traditional serving).

Baked Alaska is simply cake topped with ice cream and covered with meringue which is then browned. The trick is to freeze it as you build it. Here's how I did it ...

First, I made a devils food cake in a 9" round pan. Then I took a carton of pistachio almond ice-cream and pressed it into a plastic-wrap lined bowl (which also happened to be 9" in diameter) making sure the top was smooth and flat so that it would sit on top of the cake properly. I put the ice-cream back in the freezer to re-harden. Then I removed the ice-cream mold from the bowl, placed it on top of the cake and put them both back into the freezer.


I made a traditional meringue and then covered the frozen cake/ice cream and then stuck that back into the freezer.

Just before serving, I removed it from the freezer and used my torch to caramelize the meringue. The end result was yummy!








No comments: