Sunday, April 11, 2010

More Baking ... Raisin, Pecan and Walnut Bread

I love raisin bread ... not the cinnamon swirl stuff ... but the chewy kind filled with plump raisins and nuts. My favorite so far is the raisin pumperknickel bread from Capital Grille but they only serve it with dinner (which I don't indulge in very often). A close second is the Russian pumpernickel bagel from NY Bagels (Armando's places in Mooresville) ... I eat it plain ... no need for cream cheese.

Flipping through the April 2010 issue of Bon Appetit, I saw a recipe for raisin, pecan and walnut bread. It seemed simple enough ... basic ingredients ... water, yeast, bread flour, sugar, salt, vegetable oil, raisins, pecans, walnuts and brown sugar. The instructions were simple too ... dissolve the yeast in warm water, add the sugar, salt, vegetable oil and mix until combined. Then add the flour and knead until smooth and add the raisins, nuts and brown sugar. The recipe called for kneading by hand but I used my Kitchen Aid mixer with the dough hook.

Once mixed, the dough needed to rise in the fridge overnight and then this morning, I divided the dough into two balls, let rise for about 2 hours until it was doubled in size and baked at 375F for about 35 minutes. I let it cool on a wire rack, sliced one loaf and then Mom and I devoured a few of the warm slices with butter and coffee!

Like the other recipe I tried last week, it's way too much for just the three of us. So, I'm going to freeze one loaf, leave a few slices of the other one at home and take the rest to work for the guys. Hey, I can't eat all of this stuff ... I'd have to live at the Y. And, besides there's a sour cream coffee cake I want to make later in the week!


No comments: