Thursday, April 8, 2010

What I Did During My Easter Vacation

So, I didn't really get an Easter vacation .. I just had one day off (real work) and I spent it baking.

Here's what I made:

Old Fashioned White Bread (recipe from the cookbook that came with my KitchenAid mixer). This is my go-to recipe when I want homemade bread. We have it every year at Christmas. It was quite yummy with the spiral ham Mom baked!

I've always wanted to make hot cross buns since they remind me of Easter when I was little. The current issue of Martha Stewart Living featured some of their favorite recipes from the past 10 years. When this recipe popped up and I figured it was my time to make it. It was fairly easy ... I cheated a little ... I did not brush the tops with egg white and I was very liberal with the application of the icing, and, I might have put in a few more currants than the recipe listed.


I liked the final product ... the texture was fluffy but not too airy and it was dense but not solid if that makes sense ... when you bit into it your teeth sank into the dough but was not mushy. I liked the amount of sweetness but my sister thought it could be sweeter. I think next time I'll add some flaked coconut ... that might make it taste more like the Trinidadian version. And, the recipe makes 24 buns ... way too much for my small family. I think the recipe could easily be split in half!




No comments: